“Honor your father and mother, as the Lord your God commanded you. Then you will live a long, full life in the land the Lord your God is giving you” Deuteronomy 5:16
During my teen years, I tended to focus on what I thought my dad did wrong. Now that I have raised my own family and have grandchildren and great-grandchildren, I find myself reflecting more and more on what my dad did right, and how his Godly life style has been passed on to the fourth generation. I thank the Lord for my dad!
The following are some of things my dad did right!
• He raised us to fear God and follow Him.
• He loved his family and prayed for us.
• He was faithful to my mother throughout her life.
• He enjoyed life. He liked to play good-natured jokes on people.
• He worked very hard to provide for the family. We had a large family and so besides running the dairy farm, he worked at another job to make ends meet.
• He taught his children how to work hard.
• He demonstrated hospitality. Even though our family had seven children and lived in a small house, we often had some of his nephews living with us. There was always room for one more.
• He was very generous and gave a lot of money to the Lord. Near the end of his life, he worked at a thrift store and gave away a lot of furniture to people who couldn’t afford to buy.
• He provided transportation for seniors who needed to go to the doctor. He also visited the sick, almost right up to the day he went for surgery and died.
There are many more good things I remember about my dad, but today I just want to say:
Thank You Lord, for giving us Godly fathers who do their best to raise their family in the knowledge and fear of the Lord. Lord bless them and encourage them to keep on doing what is right. Amen.
By Katherine Kehler
p class=”post-sig”>pls click here to like our…