EBOLA IN SCOTLAND: Woman tested for Ebola in Scotland

A woman who fell ill at an immigration facility centre in Scotland is being tested for the Ebola virus, health officials said Friday.

It is thought to be “highly unlikely” that the woman, who British media reported is from Sierra Leone, would test positive, a Lanarkshire health authority spokesman said.

The woman was being held at the Dungavel House south of Glasgow, which is used to house asylum seekers before they are deported from Britain. The facility has a capacity of up to 200 people.

“We are currently investigating a possible case” of Ebola, the spokesman said.
“This is a precautionary measure and it would appear at this stage to be highly unlikely the patient will test positive for Ebola.”

The Ebola outbreak has so far claimed more than 1,000 lives in Sierra Leone, Guinea, Liberia and Nigeria.

The medical charity MSF has said the outbreak is moving faster than aid organisations can handle while the World Health Organization said the scale of the epidemic had been vastly underestimated.

Source…AFP

<

p class=”post-sig”>

EXCLUSIVE TO PRIENBLOG.COM
for Updates, Advert placement, Online music promo, Publicity, Publishing of Articles etc….Contact: PRIENBLOG™

Twitter: @prienblog
Facebook: http://www.fb.me.com/prienblog
 Pins: 2858BDF5
✉ princeprien@gmail.com ,
✉ prien57@yahoo.com
Phone: 08052063461

Advertisements

National Conference 2014 Ends, Delegates Adopt Final Report

It was a happy end to an uncertain journey on Thursday when the plenary session and indeed the 2014 National Conference drew to a close amidst fanfare laced with solidarity songs.
Suddenly, media hypes regarding apprehensions arising from issues contained in the three volumes of the prepared reports melted into oblivion as delegates unanimously approved the reports.A scenario of unsolicited hugs, multiple pats on the back, wide smiles, handshakes unhindered by ethnic divides unfolded naturally as the unanimous adoption of the reports was taken.Conference Chairman and former Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Idris Legbo Kutigi, GCON; Deputy chairman and former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Professor Bolaji Akinyemi; Conference Secretary, Dr (Mrs) Valerie-Jenette Azinge and the three assistant secretaries savoured the atmosphere with joy.
Shortly after the adoption of Votes and Proceedings of the previous day, the session opened with a “motion to mandate the secretariat to vet and effect amendment” to the three reports prepared by the secretariat.

Here is the full text of the motion sponsored by High Chief Jerry Okwuonu and former governor of Rivers State, Dr. Peter Odili:

“Whereas the secretariat has done a very marvelous job of compiling the report of the Conference and presenting same to us in easily readable and cross-checkable format; and

“Whereas delegates have perused all the reports and submitted in writing all items of omission or incorrect addition to the final report; and

Bearing in mind the dual necessity of bringing the conference to a close for purposes of not unduly over-reaching the logistics provision of the conference and not unnecessarily prolonging the continued conglomeration of people in contradiction to the prescription of Health Authorities especially as the country tackles the Ebola crisis.

“It is hereby moved that the secretariat be mandated to vet all the written submission by delegates and make necessary correction thereby providing the final draft of the Conference reports”

Another motion to slightly amend the earlier motion was taken for a change in the nomenclature of one of the volumes of the reports from Draft Constitution to Proposed Amendments to the 1999 Constitution was moved by another delegate Adamu Maina Waziri. Here is a full text of his motion:

“To cultivate a conducive environment for delegates to validate and adopt the final report of the Conference, we the undersigned delegates, hereby offer and endorse the following observations and recommendation that seek to facilitate the process and lead to amicable ending of the Conference proceedings.

“We note that the Secretariat of the Conference on August 11, 2014 tabled before delegates a draft report contained in three volumes that are broken down in seven chapters

“In particular, we observed that volume III titled Draft Constitution, conveys an attempt to insert various resolutions and recommendations of a constitutional nature that were adopted by the Conference as proposed amendments to the appropriate sections of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999.

“We recall and welcome the clarification and confirmation offered by Conference Chairman at plenary on August 13, 2014 that indeed Volume III contains proposals for the amendment of the 1999 Constitution.

“We urged the leadership of the Conference, in collating the final report, to more appropriately designate Volume 111 as: Draft Proposals to Amend the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999.

“Furthermore, we note and welcome the amenability of the Conference Secretariat to entertain suggestions from the delegates that point out any specific error to misrepresentation of decisions taken or resolutions adopted by the Conference and/or any inadvertent failure to incorporate same in the draft report.

“We are aware that delegates have responded to this call and submitted to the Secretariat their various observations and suggested amendments to the draft.

“In preparing the final report, we urged the Conference Secretariat to keep faith with and reflect fully and accurately all resolutions and recommendations accepted by the Conference and as contained in votes and preceding that were formally adopted.

“Subject to the acceptance of the foregoing understanding, assurances and conditions and in accordance with the Procedure Rules, 2014 of the Conference, we move for the validation and adoption of the draft reports contained in volume 1,2 and 3 without further debate.

“In the spirit of the consensus building cultivated by members and to maintain the bridges built during the currency of the Conference, we urge all delegates to subscribe to this plea.”

The two motions when put to voice vote separately by the Chairman received a unanimous acceptance by the delegates.

Spontaneously, all the delegates stood up and enthusiastically sang the old National Anthem “Nigeria We Hail Thee”.

The chairman then called on Chief Richard Akinjide to formally move a motion for the adoption of the final Conference Report. Chief Akinjide while moving the motion recalled his days in parliament before Nigeria gained independence and also after independence and noted that it was an honour to be called upon to move a motion for the adoption of the final report of a “very successful conference”. The youngest delegate to the Conference, 24-year old Miss Yadoma Bukar Mandara, seconded the motion.

Shortly after, delgates took turns to pour encomium on the leadership of the Conference for their maturity in steering the conference proceedings. Former governor of Akwa Ibom State, Obong Victor Attah gave a very moving vote of thanks which received spontaneous applause from delegates. A delegate representing the South South, Hon. Orok Otu Duke, read out a farewell poem titled “How Can We Say Farewell” to the delegates.

After adoption of Votes and Proceedings for the day based on a motion by Iyom Josephine Anenih and seconded by Dr. Bello Haliru Mohammed, Justice Kutigi called on the Lamido Adamawa, Alhaji Mohammed Mustapha to move a motion for the closure of the Conference.

Chief Mike Ahamba who seconded the motion said Thursday was a day of pride and honour because “when we came here, nobody expected us to end this way…We have disappointed the skeptics.”

With that comment, the 2014 National Conference inaugurated by President Goodluck Jonathan on March 17, 2014 came to a close.

SIGNED

AKPANDEM JAMES
ASSISTANT SECRETARY, MEDIA AND COMMUNICATIONS

<

p class=”post-sig”>

EXCLUSIVE TO PRIENBLOG.COM
for Updates, Advert placement, Online music promo, Publicity, Publishing of Articles etc….Contact: PRIENBLOG™

Twitter: @prienblog
Facebook: http://www.fb.me.com/prienblog
 Pins: 2858BDF5
✉ princeprien@gmail.com ,
✉ prien57@yahoo.com
Phone: 08052063461

MUSIC: JACUZZI – Wizboyy ft Iceprince

The year 2014 has been phenomenal for Mr Wizboyy Ofuasia and he is not relenting as he unleashes yet another monster piece “Jacuzzi” feat Iceprince Zamani. Produced by Wizboyy, this jam is sure to invigorate the party mood and top all playlists. Say no more, just turn it up!!

PHOTO: Candlelight Service for Kefee in Benin

For their final respects, colleagues, friends and fans of Kefee held a Candlelight Night for her on Thursday, July 10, at the Oba Akenzua Cultural Complex, Benin City. Sammie Okposo, Tim Tehilla, Nene Soul Diva, Lawrence De’covenant, Nikki Laoye, Anny Ibrahim, Aity, Linda Etukudo, Maleke amongst others were all in attendance with some performing and others offering their support.

Kefee passed away on June 13th, 2014 after spending several days in a coma. Kefee would be buried on Friday, July 11, 2014, in her hometown— Okpara-Inland, Ethiope East local government, Delta State.

Here are some pictures from the Candlelight service

<

p class=”post-sig”>for Updates, Advert placement, Online music promo, Publicity, Publishing of Articles etc….Contact: prienblog™
Twitter: @prienblog
 Pins: 2858BDF5
✉ prien57@yahoo.com
Phone: 08052063461,
08103792104

Boko Haram burns churches near Chibok, killed 48

Insurgents on Sunday launched attacks on three villages near Chibok in Borno State, setting ablaze five churches and killing no fewer than 48.

In the offensive, which was said to have lasted for about four hours, the terrorists attacked churches during Sunday worship, shot at worshippers and set the church buildings ablaze.

A resident said, ‘‘Boko Haram stormed Kautikari, Kwada and Karagau villages early in the morning at about 8.45am.

“The attackers locked worshippers inside the church and rained bullets on them.”

The source said 30 persons were shot dead in Kwada while about nine were killed in Karagau.

According to the source, no fear than nine worshippers were killed inside the Kautikari EYN church.

A youth leader in the area, Mr. Moses Zakwa, who spoke to one of our correspondents, said, “The communities that were attacked are Kwada, Kautikari and Karagau, all in the Chibok Local Government Area. As of now, over 20 persons have been confirmed dead, 10 of which I know personally.

“My cousin and one of my uncles were among those killed. He had three wives and over 20 children and he was killed in cold blood. The attack started around 8.00am and it lasted for over four hours

“The gunmen also opened fire on worshippers in a church service. People have not been sleeping at home. Some have run into the nearby bush to hide because their lives are at risk.”

Zakwa is the president of the Kibaku Youth Association.

Another Chibok indigene, Manasseh Allen, also confirmed the attack in a telephone chat with our correspondent.

“We need divine help,” he said, adding that Kautikari is the second largest town in Chibok council area.

A member of the Borno State House of Assembly, representing Chibok constituency, Mr. Aimu Foni, also told The PUNCH, “It’s obvious this was a Boko Haram attack because three days ago, they threatened to attack.”

The attack on Kwada, Karagau and Kautikari villages came exactly 74 days after members of the terrorist Islamic sect, Boko Haram, abducted well over 200 pupils of the Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok, on April 14.

The insurgents had two weeks ago written to the council area that they would attack it again.

Indigenes on Sunday listed the churches burnt down in the attacked communities to include a branch of the Deeper Life Christian Ministry, COCIN and EYN.

“They (the insurgents) killed and burnt down houses after they had attacked worshippers in five churches in Kwada, and advanced to Kautikari less than eight kilometres to Chibok town, killing and burning down people’s houses and properties,” another indigene, Malam Yahi, told one of our correspondents on the phone from Chibok.

“As of now we do not know about the efforts of the security agents, whether they are on ground or not but all our people, those who can flee have run into the bush and are being pursued by the murderers,” Yahi added.

A top local government official in Chibok town, who did not want his name published, told journalists on Sunday afternoon that “our people have fled into the bushes and we can only appeal that security men are immediately drafted to the town and environs.”

He complained that on receipt of the threat letter two weeks back, they had gone to the police to seek maximum protection but that the police authorities had told them then that they had logistic problem.

The attacks on the area caused apprehension even in the state capital, Maiduguri, as some of the indigenes of Chibok in the town were said to be making panic phone calls to their relations back home.

Most of the churches in Maiduguri were also said to have embarked on prayer sessions, asking for God’s intervention after receiving the news of ongoing attacks on their home community.

There was no word from security agents on the fresh attack on Chibok as of the time of this report.

In a related development, Sunday worship in Abuja churches were said to have been filled with testimonies by survivors of last Wednesday’s bombing of the EMAB Plaza in Wuse II area of the Federal Capital City.

Twenty one persons were killed in the blast that rocked the shopping mall. One of the dead victims of the blast is the Managing Editor (North) of the New Telegraph, Malam Suleiman Bissala.

One of our correspondents reported instances of long queues of testifiers in many Pentecostal churches in the city, with many of them narrating how they were divinely saved from death.

Meanwhile, the Nigerian Army on Sunday beefed up security on Abuja major highways to forestall another blast in the nation capital.

Our correspondent observed that soldiers had set up checkpoints on the airport road and in the central area of the city, checking contents in the boots of vehicles.

The development slowed down traffic in the areas but motorists expressed satisfaction with the stop – and – search arrangement, which they claimed would further curb the activities of the insurgents.

A cab driver, Mr. Ibrahim Bello, noted that apart from the fact that the presence of the soldiers on the road would scare bombers, the action would also minimise speeding, which he said remained the major cause of accidents on the highways.

PUNCH

<

p class=”post-sig”>pls click here to like our…
http://www.facebook.com/prienblog
twitter: @prienblog
BBPIN: 2858BDF5